Apple's new iPad. There has been a lot of mixed feedback about it. Some love it, but some see it as only a larger iPod Touch. But if we really dig deeper and look at the potential for Apple's new creation, I think the iPad could be just as much of a game changer as the first gen iPhone.
Let's think back to the launch of the first iPhone:
- No 3G
- 2MP camera with no video
- No app store
- No copy & paste
- No MMS
- No GPS
- $499 / $599
- The list goes on and on...
Now think of how far the iPhone has come in hardware and software since its "lowly" beginnings.
The iPad is already ahead of the first gen iPhone. It starts out with a base price of $499. It is a blank canvas for the thousands of designers who already create content for the App Store. It will also draw a new crowd of designers and with more room to play, I expect some pretty incredible apps in iPad's future.
Here's a short list of some things the iPad would be great for:
- Showing off your portfolio. A nice big hi-res screen would be great for showing clients and friends your work.
- Photo editing. I would love for a Photoshop or a Lightroom, but I'm sure there will be several apps developed specifically for this task.
- Gaming. Though not work related, everyone needs a break. And what better way to be creative than to play!
- Reading. With Apple's new iBooks app, even I want to read...real books!
These are just a few reasons I think the iPad will be successful. What are your opinions? Would you buy one now or wait for the 2nd generation?